Thursday, June 28, 2012

Engine running

After problems with the engine, then a rebuild of the top end, and a head replacement, finally got the engine running. Now I just need to fit the tin and exhaust, then into the car it goes.

Friday, June 8, 2012

Engine Almost There!

 The engine is almost complete. I am hoping to get it started by the end of the weekend

The axle seal decided to leak when I fill the tranny up with gear oil.

Sunday, June 3, 2012

Brakes Done

I had adjusted and bleed the brakes about two week ago. After two days I noticed that the was brake fluid on the garage floor. It turns out one brake line was leaking, apparently due to a bad connection. Also, the master cylinder reservoir had a hairline crack in it. The sad part is that it ruined the paint in the spare tire wheel well. Got a replacement reservoir from Wolfsburg West, and a new brake line from Old VWs Restoration. Everything works.

Gas tank installed, all I need to finish is the passenger door, and the body is pretty much done!!!

Saturday, June 2, 2012

Engine build up

Short block was assembled without too much trouble. My biggest concern was that the engine wouldn't rotate once the case was torqued down, but it spun just fine.
After I installed the first head I realized I never checked to make sure the arrows on the pistons were facing the flywheel, and even though I set up the pistons and cylinders ahead of time in order, I felt uneasy without physically seeing the arrows for myself. Well, the arrows were facing the correct direction!

Both heads installed and torqued to specs. The bad part is that the rocker arms are in really bad shape, so I will be needed replacements.