Friday, October 29, 2010
Well, got my backing plates all back together, with shoes, wheel cylinders, and parts. I say it must be love because see the table all those parts are on? That is my wife's antique dining room table. How many others would let their husbands do this on the dining room table. We actually used the parts as a center piece for this evenings dinner!
Monday, October 25, 2010
Saturday, October 23, 2010
Well, I actually found a complete >>RUNNING<< 1967 engine, with the correct air cleaner and generator. I am hoping to get it on my test stand, and will be posting a video of it running. Granted it needs a muffler, but it is still way cool. I will be going through it, and keep the results posted!
Thursday, October 21, 2010
The backing plates are finally done! The biggest challenge was the little leaf springs that hold the adjusting stars in place. All mine were broke off. I tried to research on how this could be fixed, by suggestions were a little vague, so you can see on the picture below on what I did. The brakes on the Classic VW are manual adjusting, which means that every so often you need to jack the car, insert a screwdriver through the drum and rotate the stars to tighten the brakes. Without the leaf springs, the star could back off, and cause the brakes to be less effective.
I drilled an 1/8 hole throuh the new little leaf spring (from Wolfsburg West) and drilled into the plate. I dripped some loctite in the hole and put in a #6 x 1/2 sheet metal screw to hold it together
Friday, October 15, 2010
The body came home yesterday, on the 30 mile trip home, I got a few chips and rub marks, but not too bad.I spend most of the afternoon, just staring at her. I flipped the chassis over and installed the master cylinder. I am hoping to get the chassis parts on this week, so I can get the body placed on the chassis by the end of next week.
Here is the info on the guy that did it, he did an awesome job!!!
2542 Sunnybrook Dr.
Green Bay, WI 54313
Tuesday, October 12, 2010
I have finished painted the chassis yesterday with a coat of Eastwood Chassis Black. Looks pretty good, I never used a HVLP paint gun before, and the one I bought was $14.99 on from Harbor Freight, so the quality wasn't there, but still managed to get it done. Also, it is the bottom of the car, so it really won't be seen too much, but I know it is paint and pretty.
Also, yesterday, got word that my car is done!!!! I am so excited, Mark in Green Bay is just finishing up replacing the ball joint on the front beam, and then I shall pick her up!
Sunday, October 10, 2010
Well, the bottom of the chassis got painted this morning, I was hoping to get a coat of Chassis Black on tonight, but work had a different plan. I got the joy of working and extra 3 hours, and being I didn't want piss off the neighbors at 10pm running my air compressor.
All my mounting hardware is in the process of getting zinc platted.
Friday, October 8, 2010
The top of the chassis is painted! It is covered with Eastwood Rust Encapsulator. I put on the first coat in the early afternoon, and just got finished putting on the second coat tonight. It seems to be drying a little slow, so I was planning to flip the chassis tomorrow and paint the bottom, but I think I will give it a full day to dry. I am guessing with how cool it is, it my be taking some time to dry.
I got the pedal assembly all repainted
Thursday, October 7, 2010
I decided to replace the floor pans, because, even though they appeared to be great, after I stated stripping the undercoat, I found the metal thinned out greatly and lots of little pin holes all over the place. I am guessing that from living on the Gulf Coast (Sarasota, FL) that salt spray, and salty water getting stuck between the metal and undercoating did some secret rusting. Plus they were dented from years of running over stuff. I got a pair of Wolfsburg West pans. They are great, very thick, they look great.