Friday, June 3, 2011

Dashboard is coming together great. I got the 8 track installed! After I get the door finished, on to the electrical! My odometer has been reset to 00000, that way I will know how much driving the "reborn" Beetle will do. She already has 145,701. I can guess the plus 100k because when I got her, I had some service records the went to 60,000 miles, so I know she rolled once, and I got her with 23,000 miles. Heck it could be 245,701. but I will stick with 145,701

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Engine Problems

Even though the engine ran great, the compression was 115-105-100-70. Which tells me it needs a rebuild. Plus, when I was taking the plugs out to do the compression test, I found the #2 plug was cross-threaded and was barely in at all. I did not want to try the put the plug back in like that, so, there needs to be some "thread restoration" Probably something I will tackle over the winter.

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Driver Window In

got the driver side window installed tonight, what a pain in the A$$

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Hood Seals Installed

Installed the front and rear hood seals last night. It was actually easier than I thought it would be. Slowly but surely it is all coming together. The front hood may need adjustment.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Here is the wheel wheel and fender undersides undercoated. I used a rubberized, paintable style. It should do a good job protecting the car. Since the car will be driven daily, (weather permitting) I wanted to prevent chips and rock dents.

The fenders installed, with fender beading. One giant leap forward!

Thursday, May 12, 2011

steering column in

Been a slow road with the vw, my hopes of getting her done this year are pretty much out the window, but I will slowly plug away.

I got the steering column installed today, along with the directional switch. I know it is the wrong steering wheel, but I am using it as a place holder, if you will.

Here is the current "back dash" view. A few wires are starting arrive, got the cigarette lighter hooked up, too bad there is no battery. :)

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Body bolted on

The chassis and body are offically bolted together. The chassis was coated with 2 coats of Eastwood rust Encapsulator, followed by two coats of Eastwood Chassis Black. The bolts chassis bolts and washers were sandblasted and zinc plated.

I installed the fuel gauge, as well.

The hood latch, windshield washer reservoir, and brake reservoir were installed.

What a good night!

Monday, February 7, 2011

Body Is On!!!

A glorious day yesterday, the body got installed on the chassis. It is all moving forward, slowly, but forward none the less!

Monday, January 24, 2011

All Drums Installed!

Well, all four brake drums are installed! I got the rear ones on tonight and torqued down to 270 ftlbs.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011


IT has been really slow going over the past few weeks. I needed to get a few parts to move to the next section, so that was the waiting game. I have given myself until February 6th (Super Bowl Sunday) to get body on the chassis. That is when all the fun starts, putting the rest of it together. I can't wait to drive her again. The last time I drove her under her own power was I think the 6th of June. 1992

Monday, January 10, 2011

Rise of the Phoenix